What to do when disposing of a boat
Change of owner / vessel detail
Any change in owner or vessel detail must be declared to Jersey Marinas within seven days of the date of change. This is to ensure sea rescue, owner contact and vessel information is accurate and up to date.
You must complete a change of ownership form and return it to Jersey Marinas.
Changes might include:
- change in vessel detail (colour, engine size, modification to topsides / hull)
- change in ownership details, change of owner or addition / removal of a joint owner
- change of owner address / contact detail
- destruction / disposal of craft other than sale
- sale of craft if outside Jersey
Disposing / breaking up of a boat
The breaking up or disposal of a craft should only be attempted by people who are competent in the necessary fields of health and safety, environmental regulations and local disposal policies and facilities.
Several local businesses can provide vessel removal / disposal services. You should consider employing their services before you attempt to dismantle / dispose of a craft on your own.
If you want to dispose of / break up your boat, then you must ensure that:
- the removal and disposal of any fuels, oils or gases is carried out under the correct Health and Safety practices. The appropriate environmental and Fire Service regulations regarding their handling / disposal must also be adhered to, along with Jersey’s environmental laws
- all metal fixings, including engine and / or gearbox (if fitted) and keel bands, must be removed from the vessel and taken to the local scrap metal facility
- confirmation is obtained from the local disposal facility that the vessel construction material (wood / GRP / plastics) is accepted
- complete section 2 on the certificate of registry, sign and return to the Marine Leisure Centre
Smaller craft (under four metres) can usually be taken whole to the local disposal facilities once steps 1, 2 and 3 (above) have been carried out.
Larger craft will require dismantling (cutting / breaking up) before transport to the local disposal facility.
Local companies that can remove / dispose of vessels are as follows:
- Mark Le Quesne haulage and demolition: +44 (0) 7797 737400
- MJ Plant Hire Ltd: +44 (0) 1534 854312 or +44 (0) 7797 721061
- RE Manning removal services: +44 (0) 7797 712270
- Suttons transport services: +44 (0) 1534 721489