How to avoid getting cut off by tides
Here are some tips if you are spending time on the coast or exploring the shoreline and causeways around the island.
- Always check the tide times before you explore the coast. Click to check tide times.
- Try to explore the coast with someone else, if you are unsure seek the advice of someone with local knowledge of the area.
- Always tell someone ashore of your plans and when you intend to be back
- When exploring at low water, set a time when you intend to return to shore and stick to it
- Always keep an eye on the progress of the tide, it can move faster than you think, especially through gullies and around sand bars.
- Wear appropriate clothing for the weather conditions
- Always have a means of calling for help with you, either a mobile phone or handheld VHF radio
- Be able to navigate back to shore if the fog or mist comes down, take suitable equipment such as handheld compass and a map.
- Don’t take any unnecessary risks when on the coast. Stop and think before putting yourself in danger.