Marine mammal reporting
Among the rich diversity of marine organisms around our coast, we are fortunate to have many seals, dolphins and porpoises throughout the year.
Reporting a sighting
Jersey Coastguard actively encourages mariners to report sightings of marine mammals to the marine biology section of the Société Jersiaise via its website or to Jersey Coastguard.
As part of international obligations, Jersey is required to monitor dolphins found in local waters to ensure it maintains a favourable conservation status.
We would advise that you exercise caution and proceed very slowly when your vessel is in close proximity to these incredible animals.
Reporting a stranded animal
If you discover a live stranded marine mammal, contact the Jersey Animal Shelter as quickly as possible on:
- +44 (0) 1534 724331 (office hours)
- +44 (0) 7797 720331 (24 hour emergency number)
If you discover a dead marine mammal, contact:
- Department for the Environment on +44 (0) 1534 441600 (office hours)
- DFI Service Desk on +44 (0) 1534 725351 Opt 1 (24 hours)
- Jersey Coastguard on VHF channel 82 or +44 (0) 1534 447705
This will allow the body to be cleared from the beach. Valuable data can also be collected that will contribute to the UK National Marine Mammal Strandings Programme.