Work due to start on Major Garage Development Project
From Port of Jersey,
21 June 2019
Enabling work is due to start w/c 24 June 2019 on a former car sales site on L'Avenue de la Commune, St Peter as part of a major development by Roberts Garages.
Once completed the 50,000 square foot site will become the 'flagship' forecourt of the Group and will include:
- A modern garage forecourt that meets current and future environmental standards, providing the highest quality facilities in Jersey;
- A 2,000 square foot convenience store, providing a wide range of grocery and fresh products;
- A state-of-the-art vehicle servicing workshop, that includes the supply and fitting of tyres, exhausts and brakes;
- A high specification 'roll over' car wash and four power wash stations;
- With an eye to the present and future, a number of charge points for electric vehicles.
For many years, customers have asked Roberts Garages to bring its services to the west of the Island and this site now allows the company to meet these demands in a convenient location according to its Managing Director, Ricky Davey. He says, "Roberts Garages is extremely pleased to now be in a position to move forward with this exciting project by building a site that meets the highest environmental standards. This is a substantial investment for us, resulting in a superior 'one stop shop' development that we are confident will not only meet with needs of all those residents in the west of the Island, but provide a further offering to our current customer base".
Roberts Garages and Ports of Jersey, which owns the site have entered into a 25-year lease agreement with planning permission for the proposed development given in April 2019. Following a rigorous tendering process, construction and fit out on the site will be carried out as a joint venture between The Toureen Group, a leading contractor in the development of complex projects such as retail petrol stations, supported by the local knowledge and expertise of Brenwal Limited.
Roberts Garages intend to start trading from its new site in early 2020, generating 16 new jobs.
On behalf of Ports of Jersey, Chief Financial Officer, Andrew Boustouler, says, "We are delighted to be working alongside such an experienced company as Roberts Garages, which is now celebrating its 60th year of trading and well-respected company within our local community. We look forward to the completion of this major development and wish the company every future trading success".