Jersey has a large fleet of fishing vessels that make the most of one of the Island’s best natural resources - the sea.
These vessels are monitored and regulated in various ways to ensure that:
- over exploitation does not happen
- they comply with regulations ensuring that this natural resource is protected
Vessels which are fishing for profit are required to be registered with a 'J' number. A licence must also be issued by the Environment Department. Either Part 6 or Part 3 registration will apply depending on the type of vessel and engine power.
Code of practice
There are no local codes of practice specifically for Jersey fishing vessels at the present time, however the following orders do apply:
- Shipping (Fishing Vessels – Safety Training) (Jersey) Order 2004
- Shipping (Fishing Vessels Safety Provisions) (Jersey) Order 2004
- Boats and Surf-riding (control) (Jersey) Regulations 1969